Sunday, December 8, 2013

Dry Dog Shampoo

I've been looking for a recipe for dry dog shampoo. I know you can buy them from the store but as some of you know, I'm health minded and cautious of the ingredients added in everyday things. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback that is an outdoor dog. I bathe him with homemade wet shampoo and a hose during the warmer months but have been stumped as to how to bathe him in the colder months. I have been researching homemade dry shampoo but couldn't find one that I could actually do with ingredients in my pantry. I have taken a recipe for human dry shampoo and a recipe for homemade wet dog shampoo and tweaked it to my liking, this is what I've come up with. I hope you like it.

Dry Dog Shampoo

1/4 cup ground oatmeal
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 Chamomile tea bag contents (I opened bagged and poured contents into the bowl, discarded bag)

*The original recipe calls for 1-2 drops of essential oil, I used the tea instead.*

Mix well in a bowl and add to a shaker for use. Shake onto dog and rub in. Brush out coat after you have rubbed in the powder. This works well for my dog, he is large and has a very thick coat. To test on small, short coat dogs, use sparingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment